Amiga 2000 Backing Up
First up I drafted in the use of the A600
with the crappy CF card. Reason.. I needed
two computers and two monitors on the bench
and the A600 is small and easy to move about.
It also has loads of free drive space.
The 600 is unexpanded and hasn't been used
since I fitted the CF card. Has never felt
like a proper Amiga since I removed the
2.5" hard drive so she sits dormant.
The drive basically is set up with WB and
two large games partitions. Demonstrating sadly
what appears to be the current trend of Amiga
users today. Anyway, onwards.
I set too installing Parnet and needed
edit the mount file so I could see the
drives across the network connection.
I used DOPUS to check the drive names
on the Amiga 600, which was already
proving to be slower than a very slow thing.
Time to rename that pesky games volume.
I have no idea how anyone uses an A600
without extra RAM and accelerator. The
computer is bonkers slow and I had kinda
already decided I needed to dump the
A600 in favour of a proper Amiga.
I set up the Electrohome on top of the
A1500 which proved to be a big big mistake.
Basically cus the thing is **cking heavy.
First problem was that the drive refused
to boot. So I pulled a spare card I had
and stuck the dodgy hard drive on to it.
No memory as such.
And no drive sadly.. Waste of time.
I lumped that monitor on and off
the A1500 several times checking.
No amount of twiddling and reseating worked.
The drive just refused to boot up.
Time to pull cards and swap machines.
Previously on scuzzblog we had tried
to fit a drive to a 1500 using a boxed
GVP Series II that I had never used.
And so I removed the drive I wanted to
back up and fitted this to a fully
populated Series II in another 1500.
Keep up !!!!!!!
B I N G O !!!!!
Not only but also.. Loads of memory.
And so I had for the first time today
a working Amiga 1500 and a working
GVP Series II and a working hard drive.
I really had had enough of lumping
around monitors and using crappy CF
cards in a very slow Amiga 600.. and so
I transferred the project to my upper
sanctum and fired up two monitors and
an Amiga 1200 with the Blizzard Turbo.
Ahhhhhh !!! Much better.
And after a short while I had a full copy
of the dodgy hard drive off the Series II.
Better yet the new card was working like
a dream and running without fault. Magic.
You can see here the Parnet set up on the 1500.
Certainly relieved to have a copy of that
drive all safely tucked away on a proper hard drive.